Chief Development Officer
Dallas, TX or Atlanta, GA
Our client is an award-winning, vertically integrated, privately held REIT specializing in the development, construction, ownership, acquisition, financing, and management of multifamily and mixed-use communities. With roots dating back to the 1980s, our client owns, develops, and manages communities (owned and third party) with a national portfolio of over 38,000 apartment homes and 200,000 square feet of retail space in high-growth markets including Atlanta, Austin, Boston, Dallas, Denver, Houston, South Florida, Southern California, and metropolitan Washington, D.C. The company has a robust development pipeline in place and is expanding into new high-growth markets. The company is an institutional developer that develops throughout all cycles and an organization which is focused on providing remarkable experiences to its residents and associates as well as exceptional performance for its investors. Sustainability, wellness, integrity, and good citizenship all drive a collaborative and caring culture.
The Chief Development Officer (CDO) will be the strategic and managerial leader responsible for developing and implementing the company’s investment activities, with accountability for making investments that align with client’s stated investment criterion and generate superior risk-adjusted returns. The CDO will have an important role in the formulation of investment strategy. The role will serve as the national market leader overseeing the coordination of the due diligence and development functions from a strategic standpoint utilizing a broad perspective of various functions when making development and investment decisions. The CDO will be a diplomatic and collaborative growth leader of an experienced team of development professionals across the country who are responsible for driving the execution of the strategy that will take the company to new heights. The CDO will have a development background with good capital structure knowledge and the ability to persuade and influence decision makers. The hired candidate will report directly to the President and CEO and this position will be based in either Dallas or Atlanta with frequent travel. The organization seeks to hire an individual with a broad real estate background who can grow and expand within the company long term.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Coach, lead, and manage the high performing development team to efficient and consistent operating standards. Help the team identify risks and find creative solutions to work around obstacles.
- Liaison between development team and investors – effectively manage this process and advocate for deals that fit into the strategy and help make a case for those that are somewhat “out of bounds” when necessary and appropriate.
- Complex thinker of high intelligence with a solid understanding of the technical aspects of development.
- Analyze and understand the target markets and identify market trends which may lead to strategic opportunities for the Company.
- Oversee forecast performance analysis for proposed projects based on market research in each region.
- Assist team with negotiating letters of intent and purchase contracts for targeted acquisitions.
- Direct due diligence efforts, including financial and physical due diligence, third party reports, title and survey, and market analysis.
- Ability to understand and create complex development financial models.
- Oversee/prepare investment package preparation and lead through the Investment Committee process and be an advocate for team through entire deal approval.
- Review transparent progress reporting on development/construction activity.
- Understand and apply appropriate risk-mitigant strategies.
- Supervise the execution of transaction closings.
- Create collaborative communication strategy with internal and external audiences.
- Manage investment activities to maximize returns on invested funds.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Communication Skills – Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from the Board, investors, venture partners, associates, landowners, brokers, the press, and the general public. Communication must be effective at all levels inside and outside the company.
- Language Skills – Ability to read, analyze, and interpret business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, and government regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals.
- Strategic Thinking – Ability to formulate strategy in the context of all external and internal factors is critical. Must be able to articulate and lead the implementation of strategic plans.
- Reasoning Ability – Ability to define complex problems and relationships, collect data and establish facts, and efficiently reach decisions and conclusions. Ability to interpret technical instructions in mathematical and diagram form and deal with both abstract and concrete variables.
- Negotiation Skills – Excellent negotiator with the ability to reach win-win outcomes that maximize returns while establishing or preserving relationships.
- Mathematical Skills – Exceptional quantitative and analytical skills including the ability to work with advanced concepts, such as the time value of money and loan metrics.
- Leadership Presence – Ability to build confidence with internal and external stakeholders as well as mentor subordinates.
- A Bachelor’s degree is required; a graduate degree is preferred.
- Significant experience in a senior leadership multifamily ground up development role.
- Proven track record of success delivering risk adjusted returns for investors.
- Desire to build positive relationships across all facets of the organization to work toward a common goal.
- A collegial leader with a collaborative nature that thrives in a collegial and team-oriented environment.
- Exceptional communication and presentation skills and style to inspire confidence in both the internal and external team.
- Unquestioned integrity.