Chief Executive Officer
Our client owns the largest ski area in the United States with 8,464 acres of skiable terrain. Powder Mountain is located an hour north of Salt Lake City and overlooks the Ogden Valley, an area dotted with farms and ranches and surrounded on all sides by mountains.
The ownership team acquired Powder Mountain in April 2013 with the vision to build a mountain town focused on innovation, entrepreneurship, arts, and altruism. Powder Mountain is the headquarters for The Summit Series, an organization that hosts conferences and events for entrepreneurs, artists and activists. Events organized by the group include an annual invitation-only conference during which participants discuss topics including business practices, technological innovation, and philanthropy. Summit Series sets the stage for the community to forge lifelong friendships, spawn new business ideas, tackle global issues, and, in turn, make the world a better place (http://www.summit.co/). The team is looking to bring on board a dynamic, experienced CEO with the proven ability to execute at the highest level to lead the management team and bring this grand vision to reality.
Summit Powder Mountain has three lines of business: 1) real estate development, 2) events and hospitality, and 3) mountain operations (skiing, mountain biking, hiking, etc.). Each line of business compliments the other; however, the core of the project is the real estate development, which the Board and ownership group view as a $750 million opportunity. The project is entitled for 2,800 units of density which provides the Company significant flexibility to adjust its development plans as appropriate.
- Design and execute razor-sharp organizational, operational, and financial strategies that facilitate the long-term success of the project in all phases and across all functional areas.
- Work with the Board of Directors to develop a long-term strategy and vision for the Company that preserves and enhances the value of the Company in a sustainable way to the benefit of shareholders and other stakeholders.
- Create and maintain a strong culture that promotes ethical practices, encourages individual integrity, embodies the Company’s entrepreneurial, collaborative, and responsible core values, and reflects a respect for the value and contribution of all stakeholders.
- Establish, build, and nurture Summit Powder Mountain’s brand in the marketplace, serving as a brand steward and ensure that the Company’s brand reflects its core values.
- Source additional equity, debt, and development partners to support the long-term strategic plan.
- Manage liquidity and debt obligations as they come due.
- Ensure the business is profitably managed, and support each business line (real estate development, events and hospitality, and mountain operations) with near real-time financial analysis and Key Performance Indicator (KPI) tracking relevant to each manager.
- Monitor overall Company performance vs. budget and 5-year strategic plan.
- Recruit, develop, and retain key talent necessary to implement the strategic plan.
- Report regularly to the owners and other constituents as to the performance of the business.
- Communicate with the Board of Directors and equity partners on the overall performance of the business, including discussing major strategic decisions, material risk management matters, and investment recommendations.
The ideal candidate should have experience in one or more of the following industries:
- Mountain / Resort Real Estate Development
- Capital Raising – Real Estate Investment Banking or Private Equity
- Leadership / Entrepreneurship
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree from a top ranked school with a record of achievement; advanced degree a plus, not a requirement.
- 15-20 years of relevant experience.
- Experience building and maintaining relationships with various market and industry participants.
- Superior analytical and strategic-thinking skills, combined with impeccable business judgment and the ability to challenge and question perceived norms.
- Outstanding analytical and quantitative skills, detail-oriented, proactive and self-motivated.
- Ability to work both independently and on a team under tight deadlines in a fast paced and rapidly changing environment.
- Demonstrated command of written communication and strong business and creative writing skills.
- Willingness and ability to travel domestically and internationally.
- Unquestionable ethics, integrity, and strong work ethic.