Chief Financial Officer
Our client is a 69-year old, family owned real estate development firm based in Greenville, SC, that has developed and owned projects across the southeast in virtually all product types. Over the last 20 years, they have refined their focus to mixed-use urban developments with an emphasis on making a positive impact in the communities in which they work.
Services Performed: Development, Construction Management, Leasing, Property Management, Property Accounting
Company Size: 19 full time employees
Anticipated Direct Reports to Chief Financial Officer: 2
The Chief Financial Officer will work directly with the President and Chairman and serve as a finance leader and partner, playing a key strategically-oriented role in enhancing the organization’s financial and operational performance. The position will lead and drive the company’s finance, capital markets, accounting & financial reporting, and risk management activities. Additionally, he or she will be expected to provide leadership and direction to the team, while maintaining the company culture and values to ensure an environment of unquestionable integrity and internal financial controls.
- Provide leadership and execution of a wide range of financial transactions; provide advice on business formation and structures including development deals, joint venture and operating agreements.
- Be aware of and develop tax strategies for investments, holdings, and exits.
- Establish and reinforce parameters for financing, guarantees, and letters of credit, reserves and other construction and/or lease-up obligations to ensure continuity and controls are adhered to and achieved.
- Review financial closing documents to ensure that fee agreements, settlement statements, and other related documents are accurate and complete.
- Drive the strategic planning and budget process through interaction with the property management department and senior management.
- Effectively manage cash and cash projections in coordination with senior accountant/controller on a weekly basis and evaluate opportunities to recapitalize properties regularly.
- Evaluate, strengthen, and manage prudent financial best practices for the development and asset/property management teams.
- Develop systems to identify and clearly communicate issues on a proactive basis.
- Ensure proper reporting across the operating businesses utilizing budget-to-actual reports already in place or any other tools identified.
- Manage risk while facilitating the vision of President/Chairman and advisory board. Communicate effectively with internal and external constituents.
Sample work you would have done last week:
- Prepare reports and statements for potential re-financings.
- Creation and/or analysis of proformas for pending development projects.
- Development/review of financial statements for lenders and/or partners.
- Evaluation of existing assets for potential dispositions/recapitalizations.
- Management of cash positions across accounts/properties.
- Meaningful work experience with increasing responsibility in a real estate development firm, private equity company, or investment bank.
- Strong background in capital markets, finance and accounting, control and reporting. Hands on leadership experience in broad array of business situations.
- Real estate development or property transaction experience with retail, office, or mixed-use experience is preferred.
- An MBA, CPA or other advanced degree related to real estate or finance is highly desirable.
Exemplary candidates will possess the following personal skills and attributes:
- Demonstrated interpersonal, management and leadership skills.
- Strong analytical capability combined with solid business acumen.
- Intellectual curiosity to explore why things are done a certain way and to develop better understandings and processes.
- Fortitude and presence to independently develop and nurture equity and debt relationships.
- Ability to think through what is conceptually needed to strategically operate successful businesses.
- A high sense of urgency and commitment to “get the job done.” This person’s management style will be that of a leader and doer rather than that of a delegator.
- Strength of character and flexible style to work successfully with a range of people. Must have the personal presence to deal effectively and independently with these constituencies.
- Very highly developed organizational skills as well as written and oral communication skills. Thoughtful listener. Direct and open communication style.
- Hands on approach; willing to roll-up-his/her-sleeves and demonstrate by example.
- This individual must be a smart, quick thinker who can rapidly “get it” and can respond quickly and immediately to matters affecting the business.
- Team player who suspends ego.