Chief Operating Officer / Chief Financial Officer
Washington, DC Metro
Our client is a privately held, fully integrated regional real estate development and investment company based in the Washington, DC metro area. They are a fourth generation company in growth mode, with a focus on creating high quality multifamily and mixed-use projects which are rich in detail and originality.
A vertically-integrated company with internal development, construction, and property management divisions, they are involved in every facet of the community-building process. From the initial site selection down to the quality finishing touches of each residence and building, they consider every detail to be paramount. The company has successfully developed over 13,000 homes and class A luxury apartments in the Mid-Atlantic region and completed over $3 billion in real estate transactions.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- The COO/CFO will have overall responsibility for the operations of the following departments: Finance and Accounting, Property Management (Commercial and Residential), Insurance and Risk Management. The COO/CFO will also interface directly with the Development and General Contracting Divisions.
- Report to President/CEO and partner with the CEO on key expansion and growth initiatives.
- Responsible for the optimization of the finance, accounting and property management departments.
- The COO/CFO will be a member of the investment committee and be part of the executive committee.
- Establish and conduct staff meetings and participate in development and investment meetings.
- Direct reports include a Chief Financial Officer and related finance and accounting staff, two Vice Presidents of Property Management.
- Apply sound financial discipline to all company operations in order to enhance profitability.
- The COO/CFO will have the intelligence and vision to understand the next step in the evolution of the company, the communication skills to convey that vision, the leadership skills to guide and motivate others, and the management skills to execute the plan.
- The COO/CFO will have shared values and will promote an entrepreneurial spirit within the vertically integrated organization.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- The ideal candidate is currently in a COO/CFO hybrid role with a growing real estate organization. Current or near-term previous experience as a CFO is required.
- A respected senior leader and manager within the real estate investment and development industry with a strong finance and accounting background.
- A well-rounded executive that understands how to manage both real estate operations and people.
- A minimum of 10-15 years’ real estate industry experience.
- Academic: Bachelor’s degree required; MBA degree and CPA preferred.
- Experience with ground-up development and high-rise multifamily and mixed-use development lease-ups.
- Creative and hands-on problem-solver.
- Experience in managing existing properties and enhancing the overall/financial performance of same.
- Strong experience with class A luxury multifamily properties is required. Experience with commercial assets is also essential.
- Experience in real estate finance, investment and/or capitalizations.
- Strong financial experience; growth minded.
- Excellent presentation skills; ability to disseminate requested information in a clear and concise manner, both internally as well as externally to lenders, consultants or other third parties. Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with an entrepreneurial real estate company. Strong preference to hire someone from a high-end multifamily developer whose properties have resort caliber amenities and hospitality-infused services.
CHARACTERISTICS AND TRAITS:
- Must be an individual with integrity and strong moral/ ethical beliefs.
- Must be innovative and be able to think “outside of the box”.
- Must be polished and articulate. Someone who can represent the company well in the wider financial and social communities.
- Must be a dynamic team player.
- A non-egocentric personality – open, candid, engaging, direct, considerate.
- Proven strategic thinker with a keen understanding of value creation.
- Results-driven, with the ability to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work well with people up and down the organization hierarchy, as well as outside consultants.
- Dedication to providing the highest level of excellence in all areas of responsibility.
- This person should buy into the longer-term vision/values of the company and should see themselves spending the remainder of their career with the company.