Director – Asset & Property Management
Our client was founded in 1989 and is one of the largest privately held owners of industrial and office properties in the Carolinas. They have invested over $1.4B in real estate projects and developed and acquired more than 22M SF. Today they lease, own or manage more than 9M SF of property throughout the Carolinas. Their primary focus is acquiring and developing well located industrial, urban infill office, and mixed-use properties. The in-house team of seasoned real estate professionals average nearly 20 years’ experience transacting, investing and operating real estate. They employ a patient and focused investment strategy concentrating in areas where they have superior market knowledge. This strategic focus combined with their on the ground presence enables them to uncover and create value at the asset level and deliver outstanding returns to investors.
The Director of Asset & Property Management will report to the COO and will play a critical leadership role within the organization. The Director of Asset & Property Management will:
- Oversee the property level operating activities and strategies for the Company’s owned portfolio.
- Serve as a Player / Coach and lead the existing property management and engineering team.
- Build and grow the third-party management and engineering business.
The ideal candidate must be an entrepreneurial, forward-thinking, problem-solver with a strong client-service focus that has a passion for people, building and leading a team, and working across multiple business lines and product types.
Business Planning / Financial Analysis
- Formulate and implement strategic asset plans for the properties and monitor the on-going financial performance of the assets.
- Develop and implement action plans to reduce operating expenses.
- Identify and analyze opportunities for value enhancement and cash flow improvement including parking revenue at their office projects.
Acquisition / Disposition Support
- Support the Acquisition/Development team in the acquisition and disposition process to ensure that asset management issues are identified prior to purchase or sale of an asset.
Leading a Team / Promoting Operational Efficiency
- Provide strategic leadership to the in-house property managers and building engineers by providing direction and oversight of business plans, budgets, forecasts, capital expenditures, and tenant issues.
- Develop and procure high value talent and place that talent in key positions to support the company goals and growth initiatives.
- Coordinate, review, and approve property operating and capital budgets and the release of capital expenditures for capital improvements.
- Implement best practices for the property management and building engineers to ensure the highest level of current and future tenant satisfaction and assist with ongoing training for the team.
- Assist the teams with the negotiation of property-level contracts, including leases, licenses, management and listing agreements.
- Perform regular onsite property visits and conduct property reviews with the property management teams to evaluate construction progress, property condition, and performance.
- Partner with the Project Management Team on new development/ redevelopment projects and monitor construction progress, budgets, and cost overruns.
Build and Grow Third-Party Management Business
- Responsible for all business development efforts and all operational aspects of the third-party management business.
- Build a strong collaborative and team-based environment.
- Drive growth in revenues and profitability.
- Provide consistent, value add strategies for private and institutional clients.
- Create and present powerful proposals to clients using company platform tools, creative differentiators, and superior management talent.
CRITICAL CHARACTER TRAITS, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Only individuals with the highest personal character will be considered. High integrity, a desire to pursue excellence, a strong work ethic, optimism, a strong desire to serve others, and a commitment to doing business the right way are prerequisites for consideration.
- Bachelor’s Degree required in real estate, finance, economics, or related field.
- An ideal candidate will have significant asset and property management experience related to office, industrial and mixed-use properties.
- Proven ability to sell third-party management services to private and institutional clients across multiple product types.
- Self-motivated individual with excellent leadership and sales skills and a collaborative working style.
- Strong understanding of real estate operating & capital budgets, property operations, capital improvements and leasing.
- Ability to build strong relationships with internal stakeholders and help them execute on their business plans.
- Advanced skills in MRI or other similar property management software application and strong proficiency in Argus, Excel, and MS Office suite.