Director of Capital Improvements
Our client is an old-line privately held multifamily investment firm that owns and manages apartment communities, predominately in the Western US. The company is one of the top 100 apartment owners in the country, operating 8800 units today and looking to grow significantly over the next 3 to 5 years.
The Director of Capital Improvements, based in Denver, CO will coordinate and lead capital projects across the portfolio. The Director of Capital Improvements will be an integral part of the acquisition team conducting due diligence on new acquisitions and executing value add strategy upon closing. They will report to the Chief Operating Officer.
- Manage the creation of portfolio wide multi-year capital improvement plans for the purpose of understanding and preparing portfolio long-term budgets.
- Supervise capital improvement teams nationwide; collaborate with regional property managers on the completion of new, ongoing and reoccurring projects.
- Develop specifications for repair and modification projects as assigned (specifications, permits, project schedules, cost analysis, purchasing/bid time and construction, etc.) for the purpose of providing them to architects, contractors, specialists, construction management firms, etc. for selection and awarding contracts.
- Participate in acquisition / due diligence process including unit inspections and vendor meetings, as requested.
- Coordinate and monitor capital activities (e.g. renovations, inspections, contractor and architect meetings, permitting activities, finalizing projects, calendars, mandates reports, change orders, etc.) to ensure that all phases of capital projects are completed within company specifications and budget expectations and with minimal interruption to the site personnel.
- Evaluate existing communities’ condition for the purpose of determining necessary capital needs and asset ongoing maintenance.
- Inspect all aspects of building structures (e.g. exterior, interior, walls, electrical, roof, concrete, paint, etc.) to ensure compliance with specific plans, specifications and local codes and ordinances.
- Maintain project files and records for the purpose of providing up to date reference and complying with regulatory requirements and established guidelines.
- Familiarity with job cost systems to accumulate information on direct materials, direct labor and overhead costs.
- Prepare written materials for the purpose of documenting activities, providing written reference and/or conveying information.
- Recommend procedures and/or actions related to capital projects or asset in general to provide information and/or suggestions regarding decisions that may be necessary to improve safety procedures of the capital program and potentially mitigate community risk.
- Respond to inquiries (e.g. community team, senior management, administrative staff, local inspectors, contractors, architects, the public, etc.) and provide required information to appropriate source.
- REAC Inspection participation through pre-inspection, unit walks, and ensuring work item completions prior to inspection date. Also participate in actual REAC inspections.
- Renovation participation; coordination and scheduling general contractors and all vendors involved with unit renovation process.
- Coordinate and collaborate on scopes and walk units for completion prior to turnover to property on site team.
- Participate in weekly / monthly status calls and meetings and provides monthly status reports.
- Travel, as necessary for assigned projects. Could be as much as 50% at times.
- Perform other related duties as assigned for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the work unit.
SKILLS, EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- College degree or coursework in business or the hospitality / property management industry is beneficial.
- A minimum of three to five years of multifamily project management experience required.
- Must possess excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with Yardi and Ops Technology systems are a plus.
- Must be detail and multi-task oriented and possess strong customer service and time management skills.
- Decision-making ability and a professional image necessary.