Director of Construction & Development
Our client is one of the leading real estate developers in the Southeast. They are a full-service company providing development, management, sales and leasing services. The Real Estate Company is part of a privately-held family of companies that was founded in the late 1800s. The Real Estate Company plans to double the size of their real estate portfolio over the next four years. They recently announced the launch of a new $200 Million project mixed-use project in Georgia and have several other projects in the pipeline in Southeastern markets such as Charlotte, Jacksonville and Charleston.
The Director of Construction & Development will support the VP of Development with all aspects of real estate development including design, entitlements, approvals, and construction management. The Director will be responsible for interfacing with the real estate team, brokers, equity partners, construction partners and institutional partners.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Perform financial analysis and due diligence for new development opportunities, assisting in underwriting and cash flow analysis, and responding to Requests for Qualifications or Proposals.
- Research and analyses: benchmark economic activity in target markets by tracking rents, sales comparables, operating costs, competitive supply and economic expansion activity.
- Assist in preparing business plans, including deal memorandums, financial forecasts and strategic plans. Research potential sites by physically observing and visiting to better understand the market.
- Attend leadership meetings, visit jobsites, and prepare required reports for ownership.
- Assist in coordinating construction draws forecasting project budgets and cash flows and managing project deliverables.
- Review vendor and contractor proposals, negotiate agreements, maintain vendor and contractor relationships, and process invoices.
- Assist in management of all aspects of bringing a project from concept to completion, including:
- Feasibility studies (site planning coordination)
- LOI negotiations
- Predevelopment budgeting
- Development timelines
- Site due diligence
- Title coordination
- Legal structuring and requirements
- Architectural program coordination
- Consultant contracts
- Hard costs pricing coordination with preconstruction
- Design development (building, ID, site and offsite)
- Retail / office work letters (for mixed use projects)
- GMP coordination with construction
- Soft costs budget, contracts and forecast management
- Prime contract change management
- Project closeout checklist
- Have a strong attention to detail displayed in all work product
- Help identify new potential sites in identified key markets
- Review basic legal documents, including but not limited to letters of intent, purchase and sale agreements, leases, joint venture agreements and closing documents
- Represent the company and its values.
- Willingness to work weekends and extended hours, including overnight travel.
- Other duties as deemed necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree in real estate or business-related field.
- 7+ years of experience in real estate development and/or construction management. Experience with mixed-use development and/or multifamily development.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Must possess excellent problem solving, customer service, and organizational skills.
- Proficient in communication (both written and verbal).
- Must pay very close attention to details.
- Must be proficient in MS products, including Word, Excel, etc. Able to utilize Outlook for calendar maintenance and contacting management.
- High level of ethics and integrity.
- Positive attitude, ability to work within team to ensure success.
- Strong work ethic and ability to succeed in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to handle confidential data.
- Ability to multitask during busy periods.
- Strong knowledge of the real estate industry.