Director of Risk Management
Montgomery, AL / Birmingham, AL or Memphis, TN
Our client is one of the largest affordable property investor/operators in the country, with over 37,000 units under management in 17 states.
Under general supervision of the General Counsel the Director of Risk Management will perform work coordinating and administering risk management, claims administration, and claims prevention activities.
RESPONSIBILITIES: Oversees and administers the comprehensive operational risk management program for the Company. Key operational risks are deemed to be property/site health and safety conditions and employee-related hazards. In addition, this officer will supervise site-level business risks associated with exposure to tenants, visitors, contractors, vendors and utilities.
- Comprehensive Insurance Program Structuring: Will work with General Counsel, management, and insurance brokers/insurers to structure the most appropriate and cost-effective insurance programs.
- Insurance Program Administration: Will structure and oversee the administration of the comprehensive insurance program, with respect to claims administration, management of deductibles and retention and relationships with insurers and adjusters.
- Determines best practices for risk management by going to properties.
- Liability Claims: Will oversee and supervise claims handling personnel and assist with the administration of property and liability claims.
- Lawsuits: For claims that are not resolved prior to litigation, the RM will work with General Counsel to appoint as necessary and supervise and coordinate with counsel for the Company.
- Develops policies and procedures for loss prevention and risk control.
- Provides assistance and guidance to departments regarding liability, risk issues and contract administration.
- Works closely with Human Resources in the administration of the worker’s compensation insurance program.
- Assists in development and implementation of safety training programs for compliance with OSHA regulations and other federal, state or local requirements.
- Assists in the preparation of division budget and oversees expenditures for liability insurance.
- Conducts research and prepares a variety of statistical and administrative reports.
- Reviews contracts for insurance requirements and transference of risk.
- Assist in crafting the risk management programs and work with the Portfolio Manager to implement.
- Consistent review of incident reports.
- Responsible for the administration of the company’s organizational structure
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Considerable knowledge of:
- Principles, practices and techniques of risk management.
- Capable of obtaining understanding and implementing best practices.
- State and federal regulations related to areas of responsibility.
- Real Estate insurance markets. Multifamily and/or Affordable Real Estate Knowledge preferred.
- Principles and practices of supervision and management.
- Effectively analyze factors concerning risk, liability, safety and occupational hazards.
- Identify and resolve problems.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, other agencies and the public.
- Follow written and verbal instructions.
- Communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: College Degree preferred or significant risk management experience or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience that demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position. Multifamily Affordable Housing Real Estate experience is preferred. This position is exempt from overtime.