Director of Vertical Construction
Salt Lake City, UT
Our client is developing and building a new private mountain resort community located in the Wasatch Mountains 30 minutes north of Salt Lake City. The development encompasses 12,000 acres including 3,000 acres of private ski terrain; a Tom Fazio-designed private golf course; and 460 private homes and homesites being developed under a multi-phase 10–15-year buildout. This multi-billion-dollar project will offer the most exclusive array of skiing, golf and a variety of other amenities in a private club setting in the United States.
The Director of Vertical Construction oversees and coordinates the company’s multiple club and for-sale vertical construction projects, from design through completion/turnover, ensuring that the design of buildings and their surroundings is cost-effective, the bid process is rigorous, contracts are properly drafted/administered, construction is efficient and well-executed, schedules are met and budgets are adhered to with maximum emphasis on value engineering and ensuring the most efficient/effective construction strategies.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides management of project design process by collaborating with architects, engineers, other consultants and operating managers to drive efficient building programs, cost-effective development strategies, comprehensive schedules and project scopes/materials necessary to complete each project within budget.
- Prepares bid solicitation packages, evaluates bids, recommends selection of contractors and prepares contracts for company vertical construction projects and associated sitework.
- Oversees contractors and subcontractors to ensure that work meets quality standards, adheres to specifications, meets budget and coordinates with other project contractors and company operations.
- Creates and manages preconstruction / construction schedules and coordinates project preconstruction / construction delivery to meet critical path deadlines. Works diligently with contractors and subcontractors to ensure projects are delivered on time and any delays are promptly communicated and mitigated.
- Prepares and communicates project cost estimates, with value-engineering alternatives to development team leaders for budget decisions.
- Regularly communicates project actual to budget status with company’s business team to adjust cashflow and proforma assumptions and to ensure cashflow projections are accurate.
- Provides regular updates on project design and schedule to company’s founders, members, and internal stakeholders and responds to founder / member questions and requests for information in a timely and professional manner.
- Collaborates with development team partners, operating team partners, consultants and contractors to identify and solve vertical project challenges, accelerate schedules and create savings.
- Ensures adherence to schedule and budget, and when unexpected challenges or issues arise, makes quick decisions and consults with development and operating team partners to make necessary adjustments to stay on schedule and budget.
- Ensures company and contractor safety standards and guidelines are followed and that all agency safety codes and standards are met.
- Ensures company environmental protection policies and procedures are followed and that agency environmental permits and regulations are properly adhered to.
- Manages and leads the punch-list, project closeout and operational turnover process ensuring a smooth hand-off to the operational team.
- Assist contractors and subcontractors in managing the resolution of construction contingency actions that are necessary due to delays, bad weather, or other challenges of vertical construction.
- Reviews monthly contractor pay applications, verifies quantities via regular field inspections / measurements and recommends payment amounts.
- Drives contractors to develop / maintain critical path schedule and delivery dates.
- Develops and maintains good working relationships with a variety of stakeholders and partners, including owners, members, regulatory personnel, development team managers, operating team managers, designers, engineers, contractors, subcontractors, field representatives, tradespersons, and craft workers.
- Assists others on the company development team as needed.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Required Skills / Abilities:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
- Thorough understanding of bidding, contracts, plans, specifications, and regulations.
- Ability to remain flexible and efficient in an evolving, high-energy environment.
- Ability to make intelligent and quick decisions.
- Work well with multiple overlapping deadlines, and when faced with unexpected challenges or delays.
- Ability to effectively multitask while analyzing and solving problems.
- Thorough understanding of architectural, engineering and other vertical development-related disciplines.
- Ability to speak Spanish preferred.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Real Estate Development, Finance / Business, Architecture, Construction Management, Construction Science, or Building Engineering required.
- At least five years of complex vertical development / construction experience required, and resort/hospitality development experience preferred.
- Construction Manager certification by the American Institute of Constructors or Construction Management Association of America preferred.
To learn more about this position, contact: Jon Nowikowski | (412) 339-5376 | email@example.com