Director, Office Investments
Based in Charlotte, NC, our client was founded in 1989 and is one of the largest privately held owners of industrial and office and properties in the Carolinas. They have invested over $1.4B in real estate projects and developed and acquired more than 22M SF. Today they lease, own or manage more than 9M SF of property throughout the Carolinas. Their primary focus is acquiring and developing well located industrial, urban infill office, and mixed-use properties. The in-house team of seasoned real estate professionals average nearly 20 years’ experience transacting, investing and operating real estate. They employ a patient and focused investment strategy concentrating in areas where they have superior market knowledge. This strategic focus combined with their on the ground presence enables them to uncover and create value at the asset level and deliver outstanding returns to investors.
The Director, Office Investments will report to the Senior Partner of the Office Division and work closely with the Senior Partner to identify urban infill office and mixed-use acquisition and development opportunities in the Charlotte Market. The ideal candidate must be an entrepreneurial, forward-thinking, problem-solver with outstanding people skills and the ability work effectively across multiple business lines.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND EXPECTATIONS:
- Develop a thorough understanding of the Charlotte office market.
- Develop outstanding relationships with the brokerage community, members of the economic development community, property owners and Beacon’s existing customer base.
- Have an excellent understanding of the business and legal aspects of an office lease agreement and experience negotiating with large, national office users.
- Work closely with the office leasing team on the leasing strategy and execution of the leases for new acquisitions and development projects.
- Assist the Senior Partner with development and leasing related matters on existing and future projects.
- Gain experience acquiring and developing assets by further developing the skills necessary to be proficient in all aspects of the investment process.
- Negotiate as needed with property owners and brokers to place a property under contract consistent with the financial models and business plan and manage risk appropriately.
- Prepare and present a thoughtful business plan, along with comprehensive market data and quantitative analysis, to the Senior Partner and ultimately Beacon’s investment committee for approval.
- Ensure an efficient closing/acquisition of the property. This will include performing any due diligence required, verifying that all deal assumptions are true as of closing, ensuring contract provisions are met. While getting support from the finance team, the closing is the responsibility of the Director, Office Investments.
- Execute the operational business plan with support and in collaboration with the leasing, property management, construction, marketing, financing, and accounting teams. While working with the Beacon team to execute the business plan, the Director, Office Investments in collaboration with the the Senior Partner will be required to make recommendations on any and all operating decisions for the property during the hold period.
- Work with Beacon’s finance team to secure the optimal capitalization for the project. The Director of Office Investments will not have direct responsibility to negotiate with lenders or investors but will have direct input into how a project is capitalized, must fully comprehend the capitalization plan and play whatever role is needed. Additionally, as necessary the Director, Office Investments will work with finance team to draft/review ownership entity operating agreement(s).
- Work with the Senior Partner and Beacon’s investment committee to determine the appropriate hold/exit strategy at the outset of the project and continually assess this strategy during any hold period.
CRITICAL CHARACTER TRAITS, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Only individuals with the highest personal character will be considered. High integrity, a desire to pursue excellence, a strong work ethic, optimism, a strong desire to serve others, and a commitment to doing business the right way are prerequisites for consideration.
- Strong Leadership skills, analytical skills, decisiveness, and teamwork are essential.
- Candidates must be self-motivated, creative, curious, entrepreneurial and have excellent sales and presentation skills.
- An ideal candidate will have at least 5 years’ experience in office leasing or development who thrives in a collaborative working style.
- Retail leasing experience or exposure is a plus but not required.