Head of Single Family Rental
Our client develops, acquires and operates high-quality apartment communities in desirable locations coast-to-coast. While they are a national company, they pride themselves on their ability to immerse themselves in their chosen markets – in other words, living and working in the communities where they operate. They combine deep understanding of each market with 30+ years of expertise and a fresh innovative approach to the apartment industry, to build relationships and places in which people thrive – creating real and enduring value for their residents, investors and associates.
Our client is currently building out a new national Single-Family Rental division within the organization and needs to hire a Head of Single-Family Rental to oversee Texas and be based in Dallas or Houston, with Dallas preferred. This person will report directly to the President of the SFR division based in the Southeast.
This Divisional Head will oversee all SFR development activities in Texas. This entails the ability to source dirt and manage the execution and construction oversight of the pipeline. This person will manage the Land Acquisition team, be responsible for hiring any essential personnel. The role will be supported by in-house acquisitions, construction and operations teams dedicated to the SFR division. This position will not require this person to source capital. This is a new and exciting high-profile opportunity for an experienced leader in the single-family sector who has experience sourcing land and executing on 100 – 200 home communities. The future expansion of this new division offers a desirable growth opportunity for someone with an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Identifies development opportunities then manages the pre-development feasibility assessment, acquisition, design, development, asset management and eventual disposition of the property.
- Oversees the development and construction of a property and works with Land Acquisitions in negotiating land contracts, entitling sites, developing budgets, and developing construction schedules.
- Ensures current cash flow and long-term market value of existing assets is maximized.
- Maintains relationships with brokers, land sellers, homebuilders, and investors.
- Interviews, hires, trains, and supervises essential staff.
- Participates in Company provided training such as fair housing, safety, non-discrimination, and harassment prevention.
- Complies with all Company National Standards, applicable health and safety rules and regulations, as well as applicable local, state, and federal laws.
- Ensures strict compliance with plans and communicates to the President of Single-Family Rental any critical issues.
Qualifications for consideration:
- Minimum of ten years of experience in Single-Family real estate development that can include acquisitions and/or finance.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Finance, Economics, Engineering or Real Estate.
Key traits for success:
- Sourcing: A proven track record of sourcing new development deals, preferably in the Texas region.
- Network: An established broker and landowner network in the region with a thorough understanding of market changes and forces that influence the organization.
- Leading: A track record of hiring and leading a team to desirable, measurable outcomes.
- Work Ethic: Displays self-starting, self-motivated traits and excels in an entrepreneurial environment. Consistently delivers accurate and timely work product and accepts personal accountability for results.
- Composed: Resolves issues while professionally managing business relationships.
- Judgment and Decision-Making: Must have the ability to make sound decisions based on information gathered and analyzed. Consider all pertinent facts and alternatives before deciding on the most appropriate action.
- Intuitive: Understands project scope, purpose and audience; anticipates varying perspectives and inquiries; stays one step ahead of incoming requests based on business instincts.