Managing Director, Development and Construction
Our client is one of the largest and most successful lodging companies in the world. They currently franchise more than 6,800 hotels representing more than 554,000 rooms in more than 40 countries and territories. Ranging from limited service to full-service hotels in the economy, mid-scale, and upscale segments, their properties provide business and leisure travelers with a range of high-quality, high-value lodging options throughout the United States and internationally.
This is a newly created role. The Managing Director of Development & Construction will oversee pre-development, development, and construction from positions of owner, partner, lender, or a combination of these roles as circumstances dictate. This professional will act as an internal consultant to the Portfolio Managers (the internal customer) who will own the final P&L for each of these investments. Each Portfolio Manager will rely heavily on this professional’s expertise as it applies to technical design, construction, and development issues. The ideal person for this role will enjoy being a thought partner with the Portfolio Managers on difficult and complex issues requiring quick and thoughtful resolution.
- Oversee development partner’s execution of pre-development, development, and construction management on all non-managed joint venture assets, with a high degree of focus on design and construction related issues.
- Oversee fee developer or owner’s representative execution of pre-development, development, and construction management on all wholly owned or managed joint venture assets, with a high degree of focus on design and construction related issues.
- Oversee borrower execution of pre-development, development, and construction management on all assets acting as collateral for development and construction loans, with a high degree of focus on design and construction related issues.
- Build, lead, and develop a team of Sr. Project Managers, Project Managers, and support staff for the purpose of construction execution oversight (manager of managers) on a portfolio of 30-40 assets.
- Read, interpret, and explain to non-construction professionals, architectural drawings for construction Types I-V.
- Create high-level construction pricing models for hospitality assets using market-based research and other available resources.
- Read, comprehend, and negotiate all construction related agreements including commonly used AIA agreements (architect, general contractor, sub-contractor, etc.)
- Work as an internal consultant for Portfolio Manager who will own the final P&L for each asset, calling to their attention potential issues, options, and solutions to design and construction related concerns.
- Plans and Aligns
- Ensures Accountability
- Drives Results
- Manages Conflict
- Interpersonal Savvy
- Develops Talent
- Demonstrates Self Awareness
- Manages Ambiguity
- Subject matter expert in design oversight, construction related entitlement process, construction management, architectural, and other design consultant management, general contractor management, sub-contractor management, and commercial development processes.
- 10+ years of development and construction management experience, preferably in hospitality, and 5+ years of organizational leadership experience.
- Preferably managed the construction of select service hotels, beginning to end, with accountability for budget and schedule.
- Deep expertise in technical construction systems including earthwork, wet and dry utilities, foundations, structural, carpentry, MEP, HVAC, roofing, glazing, etc.
- Collaborative, servant leader, with strong results orientation. A clear understanding that people come first.