Project Manager – Interiors
Washington, DC Metro
Our client is a privately owned construction company established in 1961 and is regarded as one of the preeminent contractors for large scale projects in the greater Washington/Baltimore region. Accomplished with base buildings, interiors, and renovations, its culture is based on teamwork, performance, and attention to its clients’ needs. Its focus is on safety and quality with integrated expertise in sustainable construction and award-winning building information modeling (BIM) technology. 95% of its work is secured through negotiated, select bid, or best value procurements. It has expertise in ground-up commercial base buildings, education and community facilities, life sciences manufacturing and R&D, multifamily, industrial, and interior build-outs. The company has a strong focus on its employees and a commitment to diversity.
The Project Manager is responsible for the overall direction, successful completion, and financial outcome of the project. This position manages all project aspects so that the project is completed with quality and safety at the forefront, while meeting budget and schedule objectives.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Enforce the company safety program in accordance with the company’s best practice policies, local, state, and federal laws.
- Develop new and maintain existing business relationships with Owners, Architect/Engineers, Construction Managers and Subcontractors as necessary to ensure future business opportunities.
- Possess a working knowledge of current market conditions including pricing conventions and trends.
- Develop and track leads for upcoming projects, actively work with Business Development Managers to bring in new work in line with the company’s pursuits. Participate in networking functions and industry organizations.
- Work in partnership with the Proposal Management team to create Pre-qualification packages, respond to RFPs providing narratives, logistic plans and schedules. Actively participate in interviews and presentations.
- Participate in the preconstruction and bidding process, providing constructability, schedule and process input, and development of subcontractor bid list and scope sheets. Represent the Company at pre-bid walkthroughs.
- Team with the Project Superintendent to provide leadership for the duration of the project. Provide structure to the project team, develop objectives/goals for each and assign individual areas of responsibility.
- Develop the initial project schedule; evaluate and update monthly or more often if required. Ensure that construction activities progress according to schedule.
- Participate in the procurement process in conjunction with the Purchasing Team; prepare scope of work, maintain procurement tracking log, and negotiate and prepare subcontract agreements.
- Manage multiple projects successfully at the same time.
- Oversee contractual performance of all subcontractor to ensure compliance to scope, schedule and quality. Participate in weekly subcontractor meetings with the Project Superintendent.
- Communicate with Architect, Owner and/or Construction Manager on all project issues, progress, budget, changes or modifications. Prepare for, organize and run Owner’s meetings on a regularly scheduled basis.
- Manage cost control system to ensure budget compliance. Track all potential change orders, owner change orders and prepare monthly cost to complete analysis.
- Submit, track and obtain building, occupancy and other permits as required for the project.
- Monitor the submittal and request for information process to ensure project requirements are met. If a Project Controls Manager is not assigned to the project, take primary responsibility for these items. Ensure coordination of trades and work being installed is per contract documents and of the highest quality.
- Prepare the monthly requisition to the Owner, review with Owner/Architect, revise as necessary, obtain approval and ensure timely project funding.
- Review and approve subcontractor applications for payment and vendor invoices.
- Manage the project close out process required for the project to facilitate timely release of retention.
- Mentor and train project team members to support their growth and development within the organization.
- Use latest technology and software to complete projects as assigned.
Knowledge, Experience, and Special Skills Required
- Demonstrated experience managing construction projects in excess of $3M.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Construction Management, Business, Engineering, or Related field
- Proven track record of client satisfaction and profitability
- OSHA 30 hour, First Aid and CPR certifications
- LEED Accreditation is a plus
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office 365, Procore, Bluebeam as well as an understanding of Primavera scheduling and BIM
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Ability to assess and prioritize multiple tasks, projects, and demands
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
- Trustworthy, self-motivated, passionate and dedicated to high-quality work
- Ability to perform all duties in a digital/paperless environment