(Senior) Vice President, Development and Construction
Our client is a leading real estate investment manager and hands-on real estate operator focused on acquiring, developing, and managing industrial real estate across the U.S. Through its investment funds, separate accounts, and strategic joint ventures, they have acquired and managed over 24 million square feet of commercial properties. The vertically integrated team, which is organized within specialized functions and leverages a multi-disciplinary approach to investment decision-making, has enabled the firm to consistently provide investors with exceptional returns across multiple market cycles. The firm’s central investment focus is on high quality, in-fill, last-mile industrial properties and fulfillment centers which are strategically located relative to consumers, businesses, and key infrastructure. The company’s headquarters is located in Dallas, TX with regional offices in Atlanta, Orlando, Cincinnati, and Montreal, Canada.
Our client is seeking an experienced Vice President or Senior Vice President of Development and Construction to lead its growing development team in Dallas. This position oversees all development and construction processes from design and entitlement through construction and occupancy.
The VP/SVP of Development & Construction serves as an integral member of the management team. The role is responsible for effectively managing and directing the activities of the Development Department on a strategic level. This position has functional responsibility for bottom line results which involves setting strategic direction, monitoring/directing specific divisional activities, implementing business plans, quality assurance, and compliance.
This position contributes to the accomplishment of the company’s strategy and objectives that will provide a high-performance culture that emphasizes empowerment, absolute accountability, quality, productivity and standards, and the recruitment and ongoing development of a superior workforce in accordance with the company’s values.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Collaborates with the Executive Management Team to develop and implement the company’s strategic plan
- Guides the general policy & overall direction of the department
- Creates department goals and coordinates all activities in pursuit of those goals
- Serves on management team, working together, to ensure communication is open and transparent, across all departments, to achieve the department’s strategic goals
- Responsible for the strategic and tactical management of the department
- Responsible for communicating and implementing the company strategic plan to their department
- Ensures day-to-day operations align with fulfilling the company’s strategic goals
- Clearly and quickly works through the complexity of key issues, problems, and opportunities to affect actions (i.e., leverage opportunities and resolve issues)
- Integrates strategic planning into development documents to full execution
- Accountable for internal approvals, deployment, and accurate reporting of development costs schedule and status
- Oversees project budgets, changes, completions, and closeouts
- Oversees project costs and track for historical data collection
- Verify assumptions and accuracy of financial underwriting
- Mitigates development risk at a company portfolio level
- All other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Minimum of ten plus years of experience running a Development department in the commercial real estate industry, including extensive experience with industrial developments
- Proven ability to analyze complex investment management issues, exercise independent judgment and implement solutions
- Demonstrated success in building consensus among constituencies with conflicting goals
- Detail-oriented, with strong and proven financial analysis skills and experience applying industry standard valuation methodology
- Solid understanding of accounting and financial reporting
- Team orientated with integrity and tenacity, with strong fiduciary mindset
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Well-developed interpersonal skills in order to build, maintain and develop relationships with ownership, the senior management team, employees, business partners, consultants, brokers, sellers, public officials, etc.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to work independently, prioritize and multi-task in a time sensitive environment
- Willingness to travel as needed