SVP, Construction & Property Management
Pittsburgh, Charlotte or Cleveland
Our client is a full-service, privately held developer, owner and operator of grocery-anchored retail real estate. As one of the leading retail developers in the U.S., they are highly focused on the ever-evolving, necessity-based marketplace. Our client is fluent in all aspects of retail real estate, including acquisitions, development, leasing, and property management. They have successfully developed grocery-anchored shopping centers, neighborhood shopping centers and regional shopping centers ranging in size from 100,000 SF to over 1,200,000 SF. Based in Pittsburgh, PA, the company has been named one of the Best Places to Work for the ninth consecutive year.
This role is to be based, preferably, in Pittsburgh but will consider Charlotte or Cleveland with the requirement of traveling to Pittsburgh a couple times a month as needed. The qualified individual will report directly to the CEO and be an integrated member of the senior management team and responsible for the overall strategic approach and risk management of the Company’s construction and property management departments. The SVP will directly supervise the construction and property management department leaders including mentoring, training, planning, appraisals, disciplining and issue resolution. In addition, this individual will mentor department personnel and guide the continuing education and department initiatives focused on improving the execution of responsibilities. The SVP will work closely with senior management and all departments on delivering timely, cost-effective results.
KEY ATTRIBUTES FOR THIS POSITION:
Communication, Writing and Presentation Skills: Must be able to analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, project proformas, technical procedures, construction documents, specifications, AIA contracts and governmental regulations. Should be able to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Should have the ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from senior management, clients, customers, and the general public.
Math skills: Must have the ability to understand complex budgeting, proformas, profit & loss analysis, and risk assessments. Should be able to calculate figures and amounts such as capitalization rates, ROI, discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, GLA area, circumference, and volume. Must be able to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Critical Thinking Skills: Must be able to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form, and the ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Models our client’s core values and exhibits exemplary leadership
- Oversees and is responsible for all construction and property level maintenance activities, as well as tenant coordination activities
- Oversees all capital construction, remodel and development projects including budget preparation, estimating, planning, design, bidding, contract preparation and administration, physical construction, and operational turnover
- Oversees tenant coordination functions including tenant plan reviews, entitlement, and delivery
- Oversees asset level functions including property repairs, maintenance, operational CAM budgeting, utility processing and CapEx to optimize property level business plans
- Maintains department standards, procedures, risk controls and protocols as well as ensuring proper job site and property safety compliance
- Plans, directs, and controls the overall operations of each department by developing and implementing policies, programs and staffing necessary to support the goals and objectives of the company
- Highly proficient in CAD software
- To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel, Nexus and MRI
- Oral and written communication skills
- Organizational skills
- Time management skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Management ability
- Detail oriented
- Ability to set accretive goals – strategic thinker
- Team and relationship building
- Strong motivator with ability to mentor others and resolve conflict
- Solid financial acumen and analytical ability
EDUCATION & WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS: BS in construction management or related field, such as architecture preferred. 10+ years of executive level experience with supervisory background necessary in the retail construction and/ or property management function for a commercial development firm.