SVP, Development & Construction
Our client is a privately held, diversified real estate investment and development firm. They have been developing and investing in all types of residential and commercial real estate for more than 75 years. They built and acquired thousands of apartment units in various joint ventures, which were recently sold. The company is now focused on a new era of multi-family development as they build their own brand of resort style apartments.
We’ve been engaged to find a Senior Vice President of Development & Construction to lead the execution of our client’s multifamily development and construction strategy. Manage all aspects of the development, preconstruction and construction phases of projects. Provide input into the strategic decisions and direction of the Company’s Development & Construction business, and act as a conduit for team member, client, and key stakeholder questions.
- This position will be involved in all aspects of multifamily development, including site acquisition due diligence, underwriting, entitlements, planning, design, construction (horizontal and vertical) and lease-up through turnover to operations.
- Collaborate with the senior leadership team to generate and analyze multiple scenarios for each development opportunity.
- Evaluate consultants and coordinate land use design and approval process.
- Negotiate contracts with general contractor and subcontractors.
- Build effective working relationships with the project team members.
- Establish and maintain project budgets
- Ensure all parties are prepared and informed of deadlines and deliverables. Track the progress of the project in accordance with the established project schedule.
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships across all participating parties, including government officials, attorneys, architects, civil engineers, general contractors, neighborhood organizations and all other 3rd party consulting relationships associated with projects
- Provide construction oversight of General Contractor’s activities and coordinate efforts with field and project A&E representatives, utility companies, and independent contractors.
- Attend all schedule and management meetings necessary to monitor and manage the project, chairing as appropriate.
- Make regular site visits to review construction progress.
- Assure the quality of the work being performed is in accordance with the contract documents.
- Assist in the expeditious resolution of design and construction problems arising during construction and develop alternative courses of action and implementation of optimum solutions.
- Sophisticated financial acumen, with experience in development, construction and project management.
- Excellent business judgment demonstrated by consistently achieving profitability objectives and strong project close-outs with contractor.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail evidenced by a strong command of all applicable contract and legal provisions.
- A roll up your sleeves attitude and the willingness to stick it out and do whatever it takes to get the job done.
- Ability to constantly multi-task and handle competing priorities.
- Possess judgment to know when to appropriately escalate issues up the chain of command.
- A strong sense of urgency and initiative. Ability to quickly study and react to complex issues.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to act confidently and decisively.
- Team leader with excellent diplomatic and communication skills, able to handle and resolve conflicts effectively in a firm but fair manner.
- Minimum of 15 to 20 years’ experience in the Multifamily Development industry; strong multi- family land development experience.
- Prior experience with General Contractor or as Owner’s Representative is strongly preferred.
This is an excellent opportunity to be part of a financially solid, well-established real estate organization with a stellar reputation in the marketplace; and be an integral part in the development of high-quality multifamily properties.