SVP/MD, Construction & Development
Our client is a leading Southeastern investment and development company that has been active since 2002. It currently owns a portfolio totaling 10.6 million square feet of institutional-quality office, industrial, and life sciences assets. To date, the company has acquired or developed over 25 million square feet totaling $3.5 billion in cost, with over $1.3 billion of equity capital invested. It utilizes institutional equity partners for most of its investments.
Our client has a sister company that provides a best-in-class operating platform that helps produce outstanding operating results for investments. The sister company has 175 employees and a 23-year track record of leasing and management successes, including more than 22 million square feet throughout the Carolinas. Resources include leasing, property management, accounting, reporting, construction and project management, and capital markets/investment sales expertise.
The SVP/MD of Construction and Development will be an experienced, self-motivated and collaborative construction and development management professional who will have direct responsibilities during all phases of real estate development and redevelopment including design and construction management, reporting and loan draw administration. Additional responsibilities will include assisting in the acquisitions process, participating in due diligence activities, and supporting asset management functions through the life cycle of each investment.
This individual must have proven ability to manage and deliver multiple projects, across various asset classes, and scales. He/she must communicate effectively to assist in making informed decisions, accurately predict project costs and schedules, successfully manage the development/redevelopment, design and construction process, and support rigorous property acquisition and leasing efforts within this entrepreneurial, Charlotte based real estate investment and development organization.
Reporting to select Principals, the SVP/MD must be an experienced and disciplined self-starter with ability to operate independently. He/she must have the ability to interact effectively with prospective partners, users, lenders, tenants, regulatory officials, design professionals and builders. This individual must be of the highest integrity, well thought of among peers within the design and construction communities and must be the right cultural fit.
The SVP/MD of Construction and Development will be responsible for coordinating every aspect of each new and proposed project, ensuring that requirements, objectives and expectations are defined and then transformed into a well-planned, well-executed delivery. In that context, this individual’s responsibilities include the following:
- Develop and implement strategies and procedures to successfully deliver projects on-time and on-budget with minimal risk
- Support real estate acquisitions: Collaborate with Investment team to implement pre-acquisition activities; spearhead due diligence evaluations; assist leasing efforts
- Develop appropriate budgets and schedules to maximize revenue potential
- Perform zoning, permitting, and licensing analyses; develop strategies for acquiring required entitlements
- Select design and construction teams – negotiate and administer contracts
- Manage construction projects, capital upgrade projects and tenant improvements
- Manage “needs” versus “wants” leading to changes in the scope of work
- Prepare project status reports and “Indicated Outcome Reports” for senior management and clients
- Maintain compliance with critical partnership, mortgage and loan documents
- Manage interfaces with financial partners and lenders; prepare draw requests
- Coordinate with asset management and property management personnel from inception through stabilized occupancy
- A background in Civil Engineering would be ideal
- Bachelor of Science in engineering, architecture, construction management or another related science and/or an advanced degree preferred
- Minimum of 10-15 years of specific related experience in industrial/warehouse development; must have a broad understanding of building technologies and construction delivery methods, procedures and techniques
- Strong written and oral communication skills required as well as an ability to work with a variety of people at all levels within and outside of the organization