Vice President, Acquisitions
Formed in 2007, our client is a privately held investment company with a national real estate portfolio diversified across the Northeast, Southeast, Southwest, and Western US markets.
The company invests across multiple product types, including multifamily, industrial, office, retail, and land development, with its most significant holdings in multifamily and industrial. Based on market conditions, our client invests in stabilized assets, value-add assets, structured finance instruments, and ground-up development. Recently, the focus has been on development investments. The company and this position are based in Greenville, SC.
The Vice President, Acquisitions will report primarily to the EVP/Head of Investments and the Division President and must work collaboratively with the real estate team, including with asset management, construction management, and land development, the accounting team and with other members of the corporate staff.
SKILLS OVERVIEW: Exceptional written and verbal communication skills are required, as are sophisticated joint venture modeling and deal structuring experience, Excel modeling and Argus Enterprise skills. Candidates must have proven ability to produce top quality investment presentation materials (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
Acquisitions – Primary
- Underwrite new investment opportunities and lead due diligence
- Maintain network of real estate professionals and produce new investment leads
- Perform financial and physical due diligence, including management of outside vendors
- Negotiate letters of intent and work with counsel to document joint venture terms
- Build, maintain, and audit Argus and Excel valuation models
- Model property and partnership level returns
- Draft investment committee memos and power point presentations
- Review loan documents and other legal documents
- Close transactions, including loans, joint ventures, and fee simple acquisitions
- Actively interreact with asset management and accounting functions before and after closing
- Contribute to strategic plan modeling for the Real Estate Division
Asset Management – Support the following, which are led by Asset Management:
- Budgeting and business planning functions
- Hold/sell decisions
- Re-financing activities
- Annual Valuation of Portfolio Assets
- Annual re-underwriting of Portfolio Assets
- Monitor performance relative to budgeting, underwriting and historical performance
Interpersonal Skills & Other Abilities Required:
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, present a professional image at all times, gain the trust and confidence of others, work cooperatively with a variety of individuals, and project a positive, proactive attitude.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions, which lead to recommendations. Willing to question assumptions, demonstrated skills in financial modeling, and a strong interest in real estate investing and investment structuring. Ability to work on a wide variety of assignments concurrently, self-direct and prioritize, and work significant and flexible hours to meet project deadlines. Accuracy and attention to detail is critical.
Education and/or Experience: This position requires significant relevant industry experience. A bachelor’s degree in finance, business or accounting is required. An MBA, JD, CPA, and/or CFA is a strong positive.