Vice President – Cap-EX and Construction, Asset Management
Our client is a real estate investment management company headquartered in Washington, DC with satellite offices in New York, Atlanta, and Los Angeles. The company was established in 2009 and has since raised $4.2 billion of equity to invest exclusively in U.S. real estate. The company’s two primary business lines are: 1) a series of commingled real estate private equity funds (core+, value-add, and opportunistic); and 2) a series of separate accounts. They have made over 230 investments since inception, directly or with joint venture partners, across the capital stack, in multifamily, office, industrial, retail, hospitality, senior housing, and self-storage.
- Lead the team’s cap-ex oversight and management including strategic decisions on value engineering and cost/ budget management.
- Direct the generation and review of PCA, ECA, and other engineering reports for the firm.
- Interface with operating partners on all aspects of cap-ex and construction.
- Efficiently review all aspects of cap-ex projects and help coordinate questions, additional work, and budgeting on behalf of the company.
- Work with the asset management team to develop the best cap-ex strategy efficiently and economically meet business plan.
- Help to oversee, negotiate, and monitor construction and cap-ex contracts.
- Lead the preparation of asset-level budgeting, estimating, and procurement for senior management, FMV, and other firm needs.
- Individual should eventually be able to lead the cap-ex/construction related due diligence on new acquisitions and dispositions.
- Produce cap-ex project level reporting on an as needed basis. The individual is expected to coordinate this with 3rd parties and operating partners.
- Build and maintain project cost and schedule tracking reports using Excel, MS Project, and ARGUS or others alongside 3rd parties and JV partners.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- 8+ years of experience with construction/cap-ex
- Previous real estate industry exposure
- Experience with ground-up construction or running construction projects is strongly preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field (engineering related degree is preferred)
- Highly proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook) and MS Project
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills
- Proactive self-starter with a positive and cooperative attitude/disposition
- Willingness to do whatever is needed to get the job done
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, high stakes, and rapidly changing environment
- Proven ability to work successfully within a diverse team environment
- Excellent critical thinking, judgment, strategic planning, and problem-solving skills
- Flexible attitude with the ability to manage change effectively
- Proven ability to handle confidential matters with the appropriate sensitivity and maturity
- Outstanding organizational skills and ability to prioritize multiple responsibilities
- Ability to travel as required
- Ability to work overtime hours as requested
- Construction knowledge/experience
- Technical capacity
- Project management
- Business acumen
- Communication proficiency
- Ethical conduct
- Problem solving/analysis
- Ground-up experience
- Personal effectiveness/credibility
- This position requires travel 1-2 days per week or as necessary to fulfill requirement of role.