Vice President, Construction (Single Family)
Boca Raton, FL
Our client develops, acquires and operates high-quality apartment communities in desirable locations coast-to-coast. While they are a national company with 14 regional offices across the country, they pride themselves on their ability to immerse themselves in their chosen markets – in other words, living and working in the communities where they operate. They combine deep understanding of each market with 30+ years of expertise and a fresh innovative approach to the apartment industry, to build relationships and places in which people thrive – creating real and enduring value for their residents, investors and associates.
They are looking to buildout a new Single-Family Rental division within the organization and need to hire a VP, Construction, Single-Family Rental to be based in Boca Raton, Florida to oversee those efforts. This person will report directly to the Chief Construction Officer of the company.
The Vice President of Single-Family Rental will oversee all new initial construction activities for the SFR division. This is a new and exciting high-profile opportunity for an experienced construction leader in the single-family sector who has experience in management and oversight of single family residential construction, field supervision, scheduling, quality control, and resource management. The future expansion beyond the initial Southeast Region, and leading that effort, is a desirable role for the individual with an entrepreneurial spirit.
Responsible for maintaining project goals, schedule, and overall quality of the projects. Will manage and mentor on-site field associates and direct the work of subcontractors.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide pre-development input of construction techniques and job cost.
- Conduct material take-off prior to construction to schedule subcontractors, purchase order deliveries, and verify quantities.
- Create final project schedule and assist with providing qualified trades for the bidding process.
- Aid in compilation and review of all subcontractor scopes.
- Supervise and resolve subcontractor disputes and monitor quality of workmanship and materials on project.
- Oversee subcontractor submittals to construction and development departments.
- Maintain weekly status and safety reports on project for supervisory review.
- Directly supervise the activities of the field teams.
- Monitor execution of punch lists & quality control.
- Organize and execute schedule and safety meetings with subcontractors.
- Promote safety on the projects and monitor subcontractors’ work is in compliance with the comprehensive project safety program and assists with OSHA inspections.
- Review and approve subcontractors’ and suppliers’ pay requests.
- Manage all construction administrative functions on the projects.
- Oversee close-out of projects including finalizing as-builts and collecting close-out documents.
- Create a highly motivated team of Associates and trade partners at each community.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Minimum of 3 years supervisory experience is required.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in construction with at least 5 years in single-family construction is required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management or related field is preferred.
- Knowledge of construction management theory and practice.
- Must have thorough knowledge of single-family trades, ability to analyze construction documents, and ability to read blueprints.
- Knowledge of construction building codes and building methods.
- Knowledge of PC and of construction and business software, including scheduling, estimating, spreadsheets and word processing.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, ability to take initiative, use good judgment, demonstrate a strong sense of urgency and follow-up and carry multiple projects through to completion.