Vice President of Land Acquisition – Florida
Our client is a transformative, vertically integrated single-family home builder. The company’s mission is to provide high quality and affordable homes with a focus on sustainability and long life. The firm uses its proprietary design/engineering methodology and off-site fabrication technology to dramatically increase the speed of construction. Once built, they then take their customers through an advanced, technology-enabled sales and closing experience that is both efficient and comfortable. Beginning in Texas and Florida, the company plans to bring its unique model to major growth markets across the US in the next several years.
The Vice President of Land Acquisition will provide the leadership, management and vision necessary to identify, research, and acquire land for the development and growth of the company. The Vice President of Land Acquisition will be a key driver in pursuing both co-development opportunities with local landowners/ developers who control developed or developable lots as well as pursuing direct land purchases. The Vice President will lead the Florida operation for with responsibility for all major high growth entry markets such as South Florida, Tampa Bay, Jacksonville, Orlando, Pensacola and others. This is a tremendous ground floor opportunity with a company that is scaling to grow into a national homebuilder.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Strategic and Functional:
- Identifying, approaching and forming relationships with potential single-family home partners (i.e., developers, landowners, land brokers, etc.) in current and prospective markets.
- Negotiating co-development joint ventures with developer partners to acquire and develop single-family home projects.
- Identifying, negotiating for and purchasing vacant land for development.
- Overseeing land mapping.
- Interfacing in the due diligence and entitlement process.
- Coordinating public and municipal entitlement land process, as necessary.
- Touring prospective partners and investors through planned and existing projects (i.e., model homes, fabrication facilities, operations, etc.
Leadership and Talent Development Focused:
- Inspiring, motivating and capturing team commitment and helping team members create a pathway to both individual and our collective long-term success and growth.
- Developing a strong discipline of role clarity and holding self and team members accountable for performance
- and collaboration with the whole enterprise.
- Establishing and maintaining an inclusive and diverse culture that provides a positive team member experience and ensuring proactive performance management based on feedback, coaching and mentoring.
- Advocating for appropriate academic, technical and leadership training and development opportunities for all team members.
- Recruiting and developing teams with an appropriate mix of experience, capabilities and skills to consistently meet company goals and departmental initiatives in the most cost-effective manner. Ensuring effective succession planning for all pivotal positions.
Qualifications and Skills include:
- Bachelor’s degree in business, finance, real estate or a related field.
- 10+ years general experience in the single-family home building/development sector.
- Specific experience in the areas of business development, investor sales, land and/or property acquisitions or real estate development.
- Self-directed and motivated individual with the ability to work independently with a minimum level of direct supervision.
- Demonstrated ability in building business partnerships and fostering strong relationships with investors, vendors, political connections, and potential business partners.
- Strong negotiation and contract skills.
- Knowledge of market trends, pricing and growth/supply.
- Deep network of existing contacts in the single-family sector including landowners, developers, land brokers, builders, lenders and equity sources.