Crown Advisors represents the real estate industry’s most sought after companies and positions including senior executives. Our clients trust us to find top quality candidates and we continually add new real estate, construction, and related opportunities to our list of active searches.
Project Manager/ Owner’s Rep
Our client, an affiliate of global real estate private equity firm, is a dedicated operating company that serves commercial properties in gateway cities throughout the United States. With its focus on personalized service, premium amenities, and proactive relationship management, the company employs the latest technologies and a concierge-like approach to property management in order to foster an elevated tenant experience across approximately 7 million square feet of real estate. The company is extremely well-capitalized and is aggressively pursuing new acquisition and development opportunities.
- Lead and Communicate with Contractors, Field Supervision, Subcontractors and Vendors to assist them in working to the Owner Project Schedule.
- Representative of the Owner to Architects, Consultants, Government Authorities, Vendors and Subcontractors
- Administer financial aspects of the Owner’s contract with Contractor
- Build effective working relationships with the project team members
- Review the general contract and contract documents and monitor the budget setup and project milestones
- Assist in the creation and monitoring of the schedule of values and project logs, plan for project safety and mobilization, including review and validation with team members
- Participate and monitor the purchasing process and document control by the Contractor
- Monitor and insure the buy schedule, write scopes of work, distribute and log subcontracts, write required contract riders and purchase orders, and confirm compliance with project insurance requirements are being followed by the Contractor.
- Review contractor references, obtain Subcontractor bonds (when required), and maintain project files
- Monitor and insure all purchase and delivery schedules, change order processes, shop drawings, document control logs for the Architect, Consultants, Contractor and Subcontractor are submitted timely for approval and maintained.
- Understand and participate with the Contractor in the trade buyout including: defining scope of work, authoring Exhibit B’s, ensuring scope coverage, understanding the buy and project schedules
- Attend all schedule and management meetings necessary to monitor and manage the project, chairing as be appropriate
- Manage all requisitions and payments including lien releases and maintains best possible cash flow throughout the project, communicating issues proactively
- Insure the delivery of all necessary manuals for the Owner, consolidates project documentation and files
- Insure that contractor produces the subcontractor closeout, transfer of utilities, owner training, and punch list process
- Insure delivery of all warranties, as-builts and training for the owner.
- Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management, Engineering or applicable discipline and experience relative to project size/scope
- 8+ years of project management experience within commercial real estate and construction
- Candidate must possess Company’s Core Values: Passion, Integrity, Hard Work and Professionalism
- Excellent business judgment demonstrated by consistently achieving profitability objectives and strong project close-outs with client and subcontractor relationships in good standing
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail evidenced by a strong command of all applicable contract and legal provisions
- Ability to consistently analyze and execute financial trade-offs which frequently involve dealing with incomplete data and ambiguity
- Ability to constantly multi-task and handle competing priorities between Company business needs, organizational issues, and sound team members relations
- Possess judgment to know when to appropriately escalate issues up the chain of command
- A strong sense of urgency and initiative. Able to quickly study and react to complex issues
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to confidently and decisively take action
- Team leader with excellent diplomatic and communication skills, able to handle and resolve conflicts effectively in a firm but fair manner
Vice President, Asset Management
A NYSE traded public REIT is seeking to add a Vice President in Asset Management. The Vice President – Asset Management will report to the CFO/COO with oversight from the Head of Asset Management and will work alongside other senior members of the Asset Management team. Job duties include, but are not limited to: creating and implementing property-level business plans, financial reporting, maintaining relationships with lessee / tenant points of contact, management and oversight of property operations to include internal and third-party property management teams, maximizing property value by controlling operating expenses and driving leasing / re-leasing activities and participating in acquisition and disposition activities.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITY:
Property-Level Strategic Planning
- No less frequently than annually, create a business plan for each property. The business plan should address the overall investment strategy for the property, how it fits into the firm’s portfolio objectives, and strategies to increase property cash flow and/or value.
- Annually, with a mid-year reforecast, project capital expenditures for both contractual and general maintenance requirements.
- Create and provide to Management detailed financial analyses to support recommendations and decision making for capital expenditures, leasing activities or other strategic initiatives, as needed.
Financial Reporting and Property Operations
- Annually, with a mid-year reforecast, coordinate with property management teams to prepare, review and present for approval property operating and capital expenditure budgets.
- Monthly, report to senior management on property level performance, with comparative analyses to budget, pro forma and previous operating history which may include statistics regarding a) portfolio occupancy, b) lease expirations, c) estimated renewal rents and re-tenanting costs, d) summary reports from the earnings model projections, e) other metrics as requested by management.
- Weekly, provide and discuss with Management a portfolio overview of activity at each property with a review of any new or ongoing issues, concerns or other items that require management attention
- In cooperation with the Associate – Acquisitions, Asset Management and Finance, create and review the analyses that support the quarterly earnings model, to include projections for Consumer Price Index, lease renewal rates, capital expenditures, etc.
- In cooperation with the Associate – Acquisitions, Asset Management and Finance, maintain lease abstracts including schedules of base rent, tenant improvement rent, and real estate tax and operating expense reimbursements.
- Meet periodic reporting requirements for property level loans, to include providing financial statements, rent rolls and other reports as required.
Acquisitions and Dispositions
- Participate in due diligence review of potential acquisitions with particular attention to assumptions. regarding operations and operating expenses.
- Review, analyze and recommend property managers and/or leasing agents for new acquisitions.
- Transition acquired properties into the portfolio, including completing lease novations.
- Prepare financials and due diligence packages for potential dispositions.
Required Skills / Qualifications
- Undergraduate degree, additional education preferred.
- Eight to fifteen years of commercial real estate property/asset management and analytical experience.
- Strong understanding of basic commercial real estate concepts and valuation techniques.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent planning, organization, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to function in a team-oriented setting and to work well on your own.
- Attention to detail and ability to function under tight deadlines.
- Ability to work accurately and efficiently.
- Ability to handle multiple projects at one time.
- Strong sense of personal motivation and responsibility.
- Ability to clear GSA NACI & FBI LBI background checks.
Desired Skills / Qualifications
- Knowledge of ARGUS DCF and Enterprise Software.
- Intermediate to expert experience using Microsoft Excel.
Senior Vice President, Marketing & Operations
Washington, DC Metro
Our client is a privately held, fully integrated real estate development and investment company based in the Metro DC area. The company was established four generations ago and has a focus on creating high quality mixed-use projects which are rich in detail and originality.
A vertically-integrated company with internal development, construction and property management, they are involved in every facet of the community-building process. From the initial site selection down to the quality finishing touches of each residence and building, they consider each detail to be paramount. The company developed over 13,000 homes and apartments in the Mid-Atlantic region and completed over $4 billion in real estate transactions.
The Senior Vice President, Marketing and Operations is a hands-on position that will assume leadership and responsibility for, and direct and implement all marketing and property operations. The individual will drive strategy and ensure daily project oversight and management of a team. The ideal candidate is a professional with cutting edge marketing and project management skills who can thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Responsible for the creation and execution of integrated campaigns and building relationships with appropriate teams to support business needs.
- Build and improve processes, procedures and formats by collaborating with various business partners and end-users.
- Ensure deliverables are consistent with overall company positioning, branding and standards.
- Manage and maintain organization and individual property budgets.
- Direct and lead team members to establish and achieve department objectives.
- Oversee all work, establishing appropriate prioritization of projects, production and operations.
- Manage and allocate team resources and personnel. Develop quality control measures and ensure consistent, timely delivery of products and services.
- Strategically expand brand presence.
- Manage corporate and property websites and social media channels with team.
- Manage, track, report and present program budgets by channels including campaign costs, performance and ROI through the demand generation lifecycle.
- Lead the development and implementation of custom marketing programs and budgets.
- Translate marketing metrics’ performance into actionable strategic recommendations.
- Manage the production of a variety of print and electronic marketing initiatives and deliverables for assignments, working with in-house team members and outside creative consultants.
- Responsible for all proposals, RFPs, new business materials and writing content.
- Handle all marketing related vendor contract negotiations.
- Develop and implement both internal and external communication strategies.
- Maintain existing partner relationships while cultivating new ones that strategically enhance the firm’s position in the industry.
- Manage simultaneous projects including conception, design and execution with various vendors.
- Customize materials across the entire portfolio.
KEY ATTRIBUTES/ EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum of 15 years of relevant experience in marketing and operations roles.
- Minimum of 10 years multifamily luxury rental experience, with substantial time spent working for an owner/developer on ground-up development projects. Must also have recent and significant experience working on high-rise multifamily luxury rental product.
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills; strong team player.
- Strategic thinker with an excellent sense of cutting edge marketing trends/design.
- Excellent executive and project management skills.
- Ability to prioritize, organize, lead, and/or manage multiple assignments simultaneously in a highly effective and creative way.
- Ability to successfully interact and work with senior management colleagues.
- High degree of self-confidence; self-motivated, high need achiever.
- Hands-on, proactive.
- Ability to think outside the box.
- Well presented with strong networking and marketing skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Be able to take initiative, work independently, and make decisions within the parameters of the position.
- Solid understanding of internet and social media marketing concepts for the multifamily industry.
- Knowledge of and experience with running effective marketing analytics.
- Creative problem solver regarding marketing and metric/operational issues.
- Fluency in Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Suite.
- Bachelor’s degree in Advertising, Communications, Marketing or a related field is preferred.
Vice President, Construction
Westchester County, NY
Our client is a privately held commercial real estate development and investment firm. Their portfolio includes over 80 properties in 14 states, consisting of retail power centers, grocery anchored shopping centers, office/industrial parks, and residential developments.
We’ve been engaged to find a VP, Construction to support the needs of the portfolio for tenant improvement and capital projects. The VP, Construction will manage tenant coordination including design, construction and capital projects.
- Manage the tenant fit-out/coordination phase of projects including interaction with all tenants and consultants.
- Prepare space plans and tenant construction documents.
- Prepare budgets for tenant build-out and capital projects including construction, design and other soft costs.
- Establish qualifications, solicit bids/quotations and negotiate contracts with all 3rd party vendors including architects/engineers, and contractors.
- Review bids/quotations and make recommendations for project savings.
- Review and approve all project invoices per policies and procedures; work with accounting on all billing and invoicing matters.
The ideal candidate will have 10+ years of construction experience with retail tenant improvement and renovations. The company offers an attractive and stable work environment as evidenced by a very long tenured team of senior executives.
Managing Director, Real Estate Investments
Baltimore, MD/Washington, DC Metro
Our client is one of the largest and most successful lodging companies in the world. The company currently franchises more than 6,800 hotels representing more than 500,000 rooms in more than 44 countries and territories. Ranging from limited service to full service hotels in the economy, mid-scale and upscale segments, Company-branded properties provide business and leisure travelers with a range of high-quality, high-value lodging options throughout the United States and abroad.
We are looking for a team-oriented professional with extensive experience in real estate investment, development, and asset management, preferably in the lodging industry, to join our client’s Real Estate Investment and Asset Management (REIAM) team in the Baltimore/Washington DC metropolitan area. The role is focused on oversight of invested capital in hotels currently in pre-development, development, and eventually as open and operating assets. These hotels will include those where our client has capital at risk, i.e., joint venture equity interests, senior and mezzanine loans, land acquisitions, etc. This role will be critical in executing our client’s strategy to position its premier hotel product as a leading brand in the upscale hotel segment and in several other areas of the company’s real estate investing business. The company has committed a significant amount of capital to be deployed towards the growth of this brand.
This role will oversee projects from the limited partner, general partner, and lender role and will participate in the negotiation of financially complex transactions. In addition to investment and development oversight, prior experience in asset management, hotel feasibility, operations, and/or modeling of complex real estate capital structures is a plus. Proven ability to work in a highly collaborative manner with cross-functional teams and external partners, as well as demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and work efficiently with senior executives will be critical. The role will also have responsibility for directly or indirectly managing other associates within the REIAM group, including associates and analysts. The incumbent will be directly engaged in the following activities:
- Front end review of potential transactions involving our client’s capital investments
- Issuing term sheets and LOIs
- Negotiating JV operating agreements, loan agreements, purchase and sale agreements, development agreements, etc.
- Tracking contractual milestones and taking corrective action when appropriate
- Overseeing land site due diligence and land acquisitions with development partners
- Reviewing predevelopment, development and construction budgets
- Optimizing hotel asset operating performance upon hotel opening
- Monitoring markets / submarkets of portfolio assets (e.g., demographics, supply and demand, etc.)
- Completing periodic on-site property reviews
- Devising and executing strategies to maximize asset values
- Participation with JV partners in overseeing property managers
- Leadership of asset dispositions
- Devising and executing strategies to recycle capital (JV interests, loan repayment, asset dispositions)
- Close collaboration with the Brand, Franchise Sales, Finance, and Legal groups
TEAM: The REIAM team is responsible for all segments of the real estate life cycle: capital structuring, underwriting, negotiations, internal approvals, documentation, deployment, asset management, capital recycling and workouts. They manage global capital deployment to fuel the growth of select company brands, with a primary focus on our domestic premier brand. This role reports to the Vice President of the REIAM group.
- Demonstrated progressive experience in real estate, preferably in the hotel sector, with a strong preference for prior development and investment management experience as well as a background in asset management, hotel feasibility, operations, and/or underwriting
- Experience in real estate transaction structuring and understanding of real estate risk management
- Demonstrated success operating in a collaborative team environment
- Strong financial background and experience, including creating financial models and measurement tools to utilize and influence key decision making opportunities
- Business-driven, results-oriented team player
- Strategic thinking and creative problem-solving mindset
- Targeted travel will range from 15% – 40%
Associate, Real Estate Investments
Baltimore, MD/Washington, DC Metro
Our client is one of the largest and most successful lodging companies in the world. The company currently franchises more than 6,800 hotels representing more than 500,000 rooms in more than 44 countries and territories. Ranging from limited service to full service hotels in the economy, mid-scale and upscale segments, the company-branded properties provide business and leisure travelers with a range of high-quality, high-value lodging options throughout the United States and abroad.
We are seeking a team oriented professional to join our client’s Real Estate Investment and Asset Management team in the Baltimore/Washington DC metropolitan area. The role encompasses applying your knowledge of real estate market analytics, preferably in the hotel sector, to guide investment decisions. This is the next step for a motivated real estate analyst.
This position will present the incumbent with exposure to equity and debt investments in both new construction and existing assets (hotel, office, residential, self-storage, etc.) for development of our client’s premier hotel product. This individual will have direct interaction with the investment partners, lenders, brokers, construction companies, and the management team on a regular basis.
Additionally, increased opportunities may include modeling of portfolio economics and risk assessments, and responsibility for areas of portfolio management as the hotel portfolio continues to expand. This person will join a group that is at the forefront of the company’s drive to be positioned as a leading brand in the upscale hotel segment. Our client has committed a significant amount of capital to be deployed towards the growth of the brand.
This position is a match for someone who is able to work collaboratively across many business functions and is comfortable communicating effectively through a commanding display of verbal, written, and presentation skills with multiple internal disciplines and external clients.
The position will be defined by the skills the applicant displays and the propensity to increase their knowledge in the hotel sector. This is an opportunity for someone who is seeking the next level of growth in the hospitality real estate sector, who desires to become part of a key business unit within one of the largest hotel companies in the world.
This role reports to the Director, Real Estate Investments and Asset Management.
TEAM: The Real Estate Investment and Asset Management (“REIAM”) team is responsible for all segments of the real estate life cycle; capital structuring, underwriting, negotiations, internal approvals, documentation, deployment, asset management, capital recycling and workouts. They manage global capital deployment to fuel the growth of select brands, with a primary focus presently on their domestic premier brand. They also oversee a team of highly focused associates who locate and secure land, adaptive reuse buildings and conversion opportunities throughout the U.S. The team is fully integrated into the business; they are a driver of growth at the company and a true partner to the business. We’re looking for smart, creative, motivated and thoughtful leaders to join them.
- Progressive experience in real estate market analytics including pro forma modeling, market economic analysis, preferably in the hotel sector
- Demonstrated collaborative successful experiences in a team environment
- Strong financial background and experience in creating economic models and measurement tools to utilize and influence key decision making opportunities
- Superior organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Working knowledge of portfolio management skills
- Targeted travel = 10%
Vice President, Development and Transactions
Our client is a full-service international real estate developer, advisor and investor. One large segment of their business is focused solely on industrial product. Since 1998, the company has been developing and acquiring institutional grade industrial properties in over 30 markets across North America and Europe. They have developed over 140 million square feet of industrial properties. From acquisition and joint ventures to construction and ongoing property management, they provide creative solutions for their customers and realize long-term value for their partners. They possess a depth of capital, market expertise, industry relationships, and forward-looking vision to buy and build industrial properties that meet the logistics, distribution, and manufacturing demands of evolving markets.
The Vice President, Development and Transactions must have a broad and diverse base of industrial real estate experience including but not limited to front end development, acquisitions, and marketing and leasing of industrial properties. This person will work closely with the Northeast Region team including the Market Leader, the Vice President of Development and the Development Director in all aspects of the development process from site viability and market analysis through design conception, entitlement, leasing, and potentially building disposition.
Land Acquisition and Development:
- Coordinate the entire development process from inception
- Identify target sites throughout the Northeast Region
- Maintain broker relationships to stay in front of deals
- Coordinate financial analysis with strong support from corporate finance and accounting teams
- Negotiate contracts and joint ventures
- Develop marketing plans for new projects
- Prepare responses to RFP’s
- Manage marketing media
- Attend showings
- Underwrite markets for leasing metrics
- Coordinate landlord broker leasing efforts by third party teams
- Negotiate leases with counsel’s support
- Interface with other markets on common leasing prospects
Multifamily Development Executive
Our client is a 10 year old national commercial real estate development, investment and advisory firm. They have recently expanded into the multifamily sector by hiring a leader to create a multifamily platform. They already have several projects in development with one under construction and an ever-growing pipeline.
The VP of Development will be the first hire on the team and report to the Executive Vice President, Multifamily Development. They will be based in Charlotte and will be responsible for sourcing, managing and directing a variety of apartment development projects throughout the Mid-Atlantic and Southeast from Washington DC through to southern Florida. This position is responsible for land acquisition, site feasibility, project entitlement, project financing, development, construction, and asset management.
- Identify, pursue, and negotiate potential multifamily development opportunities in assigned territory.
- Cultivate relationships with landowners, brokers, and financial sources.
- Support the development and finance team in the creation of a business plan and financial pro forma for each development project including competitive analysis, demographic research, construction cost assumptions, and detailed underwriting.
- Conduct site investigations, financial feasibility, project budgeting, and meetings with all team members.
- Monitor development and construction processes to ensure projects are completed as scheduled.
- Help manage division cash requirements and expenditures, project budgets, and schedules.
- Work with property management company to facilitate the construction and fit-out of leasing offices, which may include coordinating with marketing firms, IT consultants, and other vendors/consultants as required.
- Perform asset management function by working with third party property management firms to maximize property value.
- During all phases of a project, work closely with the EVP and other internal team members, including accounting, to assist in the approval of invoices, development of projected financial summaries, and attend weekly team meetings to detail project progress and outline critical issues.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent is required, graduate degree a plus.
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in multi-family real estate development.
- Minimum 2-3 years’ experience in managing development teams.
- Land acquisition experience is preferred.
This is an opportunity to join an extremely well capitalized company that is positioned to take advantage of niche opportunities in the current cycle. They have chosen a very disciplined boutique, value add approach to the apartment industry. They have no plans to build a machine that must be fed with deal flow. They like high barrier to entry, underserved market niches. As the second pure development executive, this person will have the opportunity to be creative and entrepreneurial in their approach to the market.
Chief Executive Officer
Our client owns the largest ski area in the United States with 8,464 acres of skiable terrain. Powder Mountain is located an hour north of Salt Lake City and overlooks the Ogden Valley, an area dotted with farms and ranches and surrounded on all sides by mountains.
The ownership team acquired Powder Mountain in April 2013 with the vision to build a mountain town focused on innovation, entrepreneurship, arts, and altruism. Powder Mountain is the headquarters for The Summit Series, an organization that hosts conferences and events for entrepreneurs, artists and activists. Events organized by the group include an annual invitation-only conference during which participants discuss topics including business practices, technological innovation, and philanthropy. Summit Series sets the stage for the community to forge lifelong friendships, spawn new business ideas, tackle global issues, and, in turn, make the world a better place (http://www.summit.co/). The team is looking to bring on board a dynamic, experienced CEO with the proven ability to execute at the highest level to lead the management team and bring this grand vision to reality.
Summit Powder Mountain has three lines of business: 1) real estate development, 2) events and hospitality, and 3) mountain operations (skiing, mountain biking, hiking, etc.). Each line of business compliments the other; however, the core of the project is the real estate development, which the Board and ownership group view as a $750 million opportunity. The project is entitled for 2,800 units of density which provides the Company significant flexibility to adjust its development plans as appropriate.
- Design and execute razor-sharp organizational, operational, and financial strategies that facilitate the long-term success of the project in all phases and across all functional areas.
- Work with the Board of Directors to develop a long-term strategy and vision for the Company that preserves and enhances the value of the Company in a sustainable way to the benefit of shareholders and other stakeholders.
- Create and maintain a strong culture that promotes ethical practices, encourages individual integrity, embodies the Company’s entrepreneurial, collaborative, and responsible core values, and reflects a respect for the value and contribution of all stakeholders.
- Establish, build, and nurture Summit Powder Mountain’s brand in the marketplace, serving as a brand steward and ensure that the Company’s brand reflects its core values.
- Source additional equity, debt, and development partners to support the long-term strategic plan.
- Manage liquidity and debt obligations as they come due.
- Ensure the business is profitably managed, and support each business line (real estate development, events and hospitality, and mountain operations) with near real-time financial analysis and Key Performance Indicator (KPI) tracking relevant to each manager.
- Monitor overall Company performance vs. budget and 5-year strategic plan.
- Recruit, develop, and retain key talent necessary to implement the strategic plan.
- Report regularly to the owners and other constituents as to the performance of the business.
- Communicate with the Board of Directors and equity partners on the overall performance of the business, including discussing major strategic decisions, material risk management matters, and investment recommendations.
The ideal candidate should have experience in one or more of the following industries:
- Mountain / Resort Real Estate Development
- Capital Raising – Real Estate Investment Banking or Private Equity
- Leadership / Entrepreneurship
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree from a top ranked school with a record of achievement; advanced degree a plus, not a requirement.
- 15-20 years of relevant experience.
- Experience building and maintaining relationships with various market and industry participants.
- Superior analytical and strategic-thinking skills, combined with impeccable business judgment and the ability to challenge and question perceived norms.
- Outstanding analytical and quantitative skills, detail-oriented, proactive and self-motivated.
- Ability to work both independently and on a team under tight deadlines in a fast paced and rapidly changing environment.
- Demonstrated command of written communication and strong business and creative writing skills.
- Willingness and ability to travel domestically and internationally.
- Unquestionable ethics, integrity, and strong work ethic.
Multifamily Project Managers and Superintendents
Orlando & Tampa, FL
Our client is one of the nation’s top multi-family builders. They currently have over $125 million in projects underway in the region and have a deep pipeline of future projects. Project types include high-density mixed-use apartments; luxury apartments; campus housing; senior living and traditional garden apartments. Many of the projects include wood frame on top of a concrete parking deck.
We are looking for candidates with experience in project management or field supervision; someone capable of managing projects in the $30M to $50M range. The ideal candidate will be someone with strong entrepreneurial skills that has a vision on how projects are supposed to run and then put their seal of approval on them. Multi-family experience is preferred, but we can also consider someone with larger commercial project experience.
This is a great opportunity to join a very well established, financially sound and stable firm that has a significant pipeline of business. The role offers the ability for the person to be entrepreneurial and work with the passion and dedication required to be successful.
Director of Acquisitions
Salt Lake City, UT
Our client is a fully integrated, self-administered and self-managed real estate investment trust that owns and/or operates over 700 self-storage properties. The Company’s properties comprise over 500,000 units and over 55 million square feet of rentable space.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Source new business opportunities and grow client’s operating platform by acquiring new properties, forming joint venture opportunities, and structuring real estate transactions.
- Structure real estate transactions utilizing elements of earn outs, structured financing, and waterfall returns.
- Present real estate analysis to the executive team for approval of transactions.
- Review financial statements and prepare preliminary valuation of real estate assets.
- Assist in the evaluation of investment returns based on cap rates, discounted cash flows, use of leverage and illustrate trends and possible risks of potential opportunities.
- Develop underwriting and modeling for potential market strategic opportunities.
- Review financial and operational due diligence materials for acquisitions.
- Coordinate closings with the Operations Department to ensure a smooth transition of newly acquired properties.
- Travel to trade shows and conduct property audits as market opportunities develop.
Required Education and Experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree in a financial related field is required; a Master’s degree is preferred.
- A minimum of seven to ten years of sales and negotiating experience in commercial real estate.
- Ability to research commercial real estate industry data and translate the findings into Sales revenue generating information.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite, including Excel, PowerPoint, and Word.
- Must have a valid Driver’s License and the ability to travel throughout the company-related geographical areas.
Regional Director, Asset Management
New Orleans, LA
Our client is an established investment, development and management firm based in New York City. For over 60 years, they have been a powerful force in real estate. They’ve achieved success by adhering to a core group of principles: diversity of holdings to weather fickle financial trends and climates; low debt to keep capital working for them and their clients; and extensive expertise to manage and operate their own properties. These qualities combine to make the company one of the nation’s foremost real estate companies. Diversity is a key to the company’s success. Active in every facet of the industry, they own, develop and manage over 26 million square feet of retail, commercial and industrial properties, over 5,000 residential rental units, as well as hundreds of net leased properties and thousands of acres of undeveloped land across the country.
The company is one of the largest owners/developers of real estate assets in New Orleans. The Regional Director of Asset Management will oversee all office and multifamily properties in the Louisiana portfolio (approximately 3 million square feet of office and 1200 multifamily units). Key responsibilities include hands-on oversight of property operations, leasing, and financial reporting. The Regional Director will also manage all redevelopment/development projects within the portfolio.
- Track all deals from start to finish.
- Review all deals with leasing personnel prior to it being sent to New York for approval.
- Review and comment on all lease issues and make changes and finalize/ approval of the document including Assignments, etc.
- Make decisions on whether lease or amendment should be sent to an Attorney or do in-house.
- Check lease and amendments to make any updates to amendments, for example termination options, insurance, casualty, etc.
- Assist and support all Property Managers (Offices, Apartments & Warehouses) in order to better operate their properties. Enhance and enforce the philosophy of the owner.
- Meetings and discussions on operations and leasing/site visits.
- Resolve problems with Property Managers in crisis whether it is tenant, building, legal and sometimes personal if it is affecting one’s job performance.
- Review and assist in budget creation, operational and capital spending.
- Review weekly leasing reports, budgets, variances, accounts receivable collections and accounts payable approval.
- Sign off on all capital projects (budgeted and non-budgeted).
- Review all vendor contracts.
- Monitor all 3rd party contractors used at the properties (pricing and workmanship).
- Review and remedy all legal notices, lawsuits, violation notices for properties, tenant defaults, evictions or collections.
- Review and investigate all claims of injuries prior to sending to our insurance company.
- Ensure that all safety precautions at each property are taken in adverse weather conditions including fire systems, warning notices, generator function, building first responders, re-entry passes and on-call vendors.
- Work with third party management companies.
- Communicate with brokers and attorneys
- Site evaluation
- Contract review
- Due Diligence
- Closing and transition of property to Property Manager
- Oversee all aspects from conception, design and development, construction, marketing and leasing
- Source/ identify new opportunities locally to grow the company
- 10+ years of asset management/operations experience with an owner/developer
- Experience managing development and renovation projects, both office and multifamily. Previous experience in construction management, tenant coordination, due diligence and entitlement work
- Knowledge of the New Orleans market as well as existing relationships in the market (preferred)
- Four-year college degree required
Chief Financial Officer
New York, NY
Our client is a privately held real estate investment, operating, management and development company headquartered in Lower Manhattan, NY. This group has had an amazing track record of acquiring and developing some of the best in class commercial real estate assets. Since the early 2000’s they have developed nearly $5B (over 10 million square feet) throughout the United States and currently have a robust pipeline.
We have been retained to fill the position of Chief Financial Officer/Chief Accounting Officer. Our ideal candidate will have 15+ years of experience with a proven track record within a real estate development company. The ability to develop and lead strategy, planning, forecasting as well as revenue/profitability analysis for both the current portfolio but also new ground up development. Must have strong financial modeling experience. Sourcing of funds with new development projects and expertise in IRR and ROI analysis. Communicate and develop strong banking, investment and construction lending relationships. Develop and manage capital plan to support and promote the company into new markets and expand development efforts in its existing footprint.
Founded by several of the top commercial real estate leaders in the Southeast, our client is a full service commercial real estate firm, comprised of an exceptional, well respected and established group of talented professionals headquartered in Charlotte, NC. The firm has deep existing relationships with the top institutional owners in the country and is one of the leading service providers for leasing, property management, construction/project management and investment sales in the Carolinas. The firm has eight business lines and leases and/or manages an office and industrial portfolio of institutional quality assets totaling 16M SF in Charlotte, Raleigh and Greenville, SC.
This hired Partner will oversee the Greenville, SC office for the firm, be an owner of the Greenville office with the firm’s other partners, and be responsible for recruiting and business development. The Greenville Partner will oversee all operational aspects of the Greenville office with the support of the company’s established resources out of Charlotte. As Market Leader and Partner, this person will assist in developing operating budgets for this office and monitor the overall financial performance of the region.
The Greenville Partner will lead efforts to build our client’s brokerage presence in Greenville and surrounding areas. This will include recruiting and managing an entrepreneurial transactional team and relevant business lines to support that team. The selected candidate will be offered a platform to build the business and will be rewarded substantially for their efforts.
The ideal candidate will have an entrepreneurial, strategic mindset and strong work ethic with proven success building a business. The Greenville Partner will have a positively aggressive, creative, charismatic and energetic personality. This person will bring enthusiasm and cohesiveness to the team, motivating them for success, leading and communicating by example. Critical to the success of this role will be an assertive and proactive working leader with a balanced and pragmatic approach to executing deals and management.
- A known and respected professional in the South Carolina commercial real estate industry including established relationships with institutional owners and users around the U.S.
- Hands-on production and management experience with a thorough understanding of the entrepreneurial nature of a brokerage sales force.
- Strategic minded with a visionary and forward-thinking approach.
- Highly effective communicator and connector, with the charisma to be representative of the company in the market.
- Minimum of 7-10+ years’ experience in the commercial real estate industry, transaction experience preferred.
Vice President of Construction
We have been engaged by one of the top multifamily construction companies nationally to help them open a new Atlanta office. They build a variety of projects from traditional garden apartments to mixed-use luxury apartments, campus housing, senior living and high-density transit oriented developments. Most of the projects include concrete construction and underground parking. They have a national clientele of top developers pursuing work in the region. They have two current projects with several more in the pipeline that they will use as a springboard to find additional work.
We are searching for a VP of Construction to open, lead and grow the Atlanta office. As they gain traction, they will have additional needs both in the office and in the field, from Senior Project Managers to Project Engineers; and Senior Superintendent’s to Assistant Superintendents. This is a great opportunity to become a leader and key figure in a $600M company as they expand into a new territory.
Chief Accounting Officer
Baltimore, MD / Washington DC Metro
Our client is a real estate operator whose 150 employees have a 25-year track record of capitalizing on durable insights into the supply and demand of real assets through the global supply chain. They build and invest in value-added business platforms that have a proprietary position in their markets, source investments with favorable supply/demand dynamics and bring intense focus to operating results. The firm currently manages over $3B+ AUM in assets through three logistics-oriented private equity fund series.
This position is responsible for managing all aspects of the accounting function from transaction processing to the preparation of external investor and lender reporting prepared in accordance with US GAAP and IFRS. This position has the following duties related to its key areas:
- Serve as the ultimate “owner” of the quality of the accounting department deliverables, including the people, processes and technology used to support their generation. This responsibility includes, but is not limited to the following:
- Ensure efficient and effective transaction processing, through leveraging systems’ functionality, process redesign and reengineering, and documented and clear SOPS to ensure that financial information is maintained in a quality manner, is accurate, timely and complete and in accordance with GAAP and/or IFRS and company policies.
- Develop more efficient and/or more effective ways to organize, deliver, or consolidate work products ensuring effective use of information systems, process redesign and/or reengineering and/or available information.
- Meet with internal and external users of department information to ensure their needs are being adequately and appropriately met.
- Plan oversee and manage all external reporting processes to ensure timely delivery of financial information.
- Plan, oversee and manage the external audit process, including drafting of financial statements and/or new footnotes to financial statements.
- Resolve and document technical accounting issues related to both existing and prospective accounting standards.
- Work to develop and/or refine a consistent set of metrics.
- Stay abreast of best practices in financial reporting through various resources and bring forward recommendations for changes to our existing investor reporting.
- Work as a partner with the business teams to provide complete, reliable and accurate information.
- Demonstrate a strong working knowledge of the company’s business, including fund structures and the Company’s corporate organizational structure to be able to identify and bring forward issues that could impact the Company’s operations, reporting, tax reporting and/or tax strategies:
- Understand the Company’s consolidated operating performance “picture” to ensure decisions are made in the context of the Company’s consolidated objectives.
- Understand and recognize potential REIT/UBTI issues.
- Have a strong working knowledge of the properties.
- Understanding of key agreements (lease, ground lease, debt, partnership, etc.) and the risks.
- Ensuring that all return and investor performance metrics are calculated correctly.
- Key performance indicators.
- Has the primary responsibility for the adequacy of the internal controls and owns the resolution of any control deficiencies identified during the annual audit process. This means ensuring that internal controls are designed effectively and are working properly or redesigned to address noted control deficiencies.
- Play a leading role in the management and strategic direction of the department including, but not limited to the following:
- Work with the CFO to develop, implement and continually revise the department strategy.
- Oversee and direct specific initiatives for the department.
- Assess organizational structure and personnel to stay ahead of company’s needs.
- Work with the CFO to develop personnel management and career development strategies for the Division.
- Oversee the design and use of the Company’s SharePoint site.
The qualified candidate must have the following attributes:
- At least 15 years of accounting/business management experience and at least 5 years of experience in the operations of private equity real estate firm.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting and be a CPA.
- Well-versed in the application of US GAAP and IFRS.
- Well-developed analytical skills.
- Organized and attentive to details.
- Effective and proven project management skills.
- Effective manager of staff.
- Effective communicator (both oral and written) and be able to communicate with all staff and executive levels within the organization.
- Engage others (that they don’t directly supervise) to actively participate in projects.
- Work effectively as a team member and a team leader.
- Motivate, lead and develop staff.
Senior Vice President, East Coast Retail Leasing
Founded in 1984, our client is a comprehensive real estate firm headquartered in Washington, DC with a full-service office in Beverly Hills, CA. They have developed a $1 billion portfolio comprised of 44 properties totaling 5 million square feet with an active development pipeline more than $1 billion.
They specialize in the acquisition, development, redevelopment, and value enhancement of shopping centers and mixed-use properties. The company takes a long-term, conservative approach to real estate ownership and development actively seeking new projects in their core markets of Washington, DC and Southern California.
The Senior Vice President, East Coast Leasing (SVP), reporting to the President/CEO, is responsible for directing all facets of retail leasing, including management of East Coast leasing staff, and working closely with operational department heads (Development, Acquisitions, Construction, Property Management, Asset Management, Legal, Finance) to maintain high occupancy, upgrade tenant mix, provide market lease rate and budget leasing assumption information, meet or exceed budgeted leasing expectations and raise the profile of the company within the industry. The SVP will be a material participant in East Coast growth and value enhancement efforts by utilizing tenant and broker relationships to identify new acquisition and development opportunities, providing essential market leasing information in support of growth activity and procuring new anchor tenant lease deals for existing portfolio, redevelopment and new development projects on the East Coast. The SVP will develop and maintain relationships with retailers and brokers and be the in-house expert regarding all facets of leasing within the Washington, DC metropolitan market.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, preferably in Business Administration, Finance and/or Real Estate. MBA preferred.
A significant number of years’ experience in retail leasing is required. Must possess a thorough understanding of the entire leasing process and be familiar with the portfolio, trade areas, new and existing tenants, market trends and new developments in the region. Excellent relationships with other real estate professionals (tenants, landlords, brokers, etc.) in the region is a must. Demonstrated (i) ability to foster and maintain a viable network of contacts in the industry in order to procure new lease deals for the portfolio and (ii) track record of closing lease deals (including with anchor tenants and specifically with grocery store tenants), building and motivating an effective leasing team, achieving and maintaining high occupancy levels, and devising creative solutions for leasing in a rapidly changing marketplace.
Must possess strong negotiation, communication, leadership, motivational, and sales skills, be creative and an outstanding problem solver, and have expert knowledge of retail leases. Must be organized in order to track lease expirations and other essential lease/tenant related data (e.g., sales, accounts receivable, etc.) necessary for success. Must have the ability to think “outside the box” and develop creative solutions for evolving market and industry conditions. Computer literacy required to include a working knowledge of standard business software applications (e.g., Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook).